Monday, July 07, 2008

Whales!

It is summer and I thought this just screamed "Summer!"
I love salt water taffy and Jimmy gets to use the twisty straws when he is wearing his big boy underpants.


Jimmy enjoys the summertime.


Camas took me on a fantastic whale watching trip for my birthday. On the way up we passed under this bridge between the islands.


A couple of islands were covered in birds that took off when the boat passed.


There were also many seals.


One little seal pup waiting for mama to bring back lunch.



The first day we spotted two Minke whales.

It was very exciting, but no orcas...


The whole island was blooming. There was lavender everywhere!






This is the ship we rode. the Victoria Clipper.


Five minutes out on the whale watch the second day we started seeing orcas!

We saw whales from J and L pods and they were fishing for salmon at the time we found them.



We also saw some courtship behavior, too.

One whale, we later learned was named Mike, came within 30 feet of the boat.

I caught some video of him.


Another named Faith was as close and went right under the boat, but I had already put the camera away...

It was a very excellent trip!

I have many many pictures but chose the very best ones to post for you. Here are more great photos, not by me.

No comments: